Sakar’s Tony Hawk helmet recall was issued over quality issues and risks of head injuries to users in the event of a crash. This helmet line has been recalled twice: in 2023 and 2022. (1)(2)(3)
Tony Hawk helmets are part of Sakar’s signature series from the skateboarding legend’s collection.
The 2022 recall only includes the silver Tony Hawk helmets, whereas the 2023 recall affects three helmets produced by Sakar International Inc.: (1)(2)(3)
- Tony Hawk Multi-Purpose Helmets
- Credhedz Lizard Helmets
- Crayola Dry Erase Helmets
Tony Hawk Helmet Recall 2023
On January 19, 2023, Sakar International Inc. announced the voluntary recall of around 33,100 helmets for failing to comply with the retention system and positional stability requirements of the CPSC (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) federal safety standard for bicycle helmets. (1)(2)
The recalled helmets might fail to protect the user’s head in the event of a crash, posing a head injury risk. (1)(2)
Thankfully, there haven’t been any consumer reports of injuries or incidents with these recalled helmets. (1)(2)
What Tony Hawk Helmets Are Being Recalled In 2023?
The Tony Hawk multi-purpose helmets are available in different colors and have black buckles and straps. These have Tony Hawk’s signature on the side. (1)(2)
The following Tony Hawk helmet item numbers are affected: (1)(2)
These helmet models, all with black straps and black buckles, are also included in this voluntary recall: (1)(2)
- Credhedz Lizard multi-purpose helmets (black with a green plastic lizard on top) – Item No. ACTGEAR241-LIZ
- Crayola Dry-Erase multi-purpose helmets (white helmet sold with a pack of five markers) – Item No. ACTGEAR242071
The recalled helmets were sold from November 2020 through October 2022 at the following outlets: (1)
- Big Lots
- Ollies Bargain Outlet
- Other stores nationwide
Tony Hawk Helmet Recall 2022
On July 14, 2022, Sakar International Inc. recalled about 12,655 units of Tony Hawk Silver Helmets, also over the products’ quality issues and failure to comply with the CPSC’s positional stability and retention system requirements for bicycle helmets. (1)(3)
In the event of a crash, these recalled helmets might fail to protect the user, posing a risk of head injury. (1)(3)
Thankfully, there haven’t been any consumer reports of injuries or incidents with these recalled helmets. (1)(3)
What Tony Hawk Helmets Were Recalled In 2022?
Only the Tony Hawk Silver Metallic multi-purpose helmets are included in this recall. This silver helmet has black straps, black buckle, and Tony Hawk’s signature on the side. (1)(3)
This recall affects Item No. AGE2515STH-SIL. (1)(3)
Note that these helmets were also provided as replacements for the recalled Sarkar Dimensions Bluetooth Speaker Helmets (March 2022). (3)
These recalled helmets were exclusively sold from March 2022 through June 2022 at Walmart stores and online shop (walmart.com).
Are These Recalled Tony Hawk Helmets Still Safe To Use?
No. They fail to comply with the CPSC’s safety standards. (1)(3)
How Do I Check If My Tony Hawk Helmet Is Recalled?
For the 2023 recall:
Check for the affected item numbers listed above by looking inside the top right corner of the helmet for the white warning label. (2)
For the 2022 recall:
If you have a silver Tony Hawk helmet, it might be included in this recall. To verify, find the white warning label inside the top right corner of the helmet and check if it matches the item number listed above. (1)(3)
Sakar will also contact registered consumers who bought or received the item as a replacement helmet. (1)(3)
What To Do With The Recalled Helmet?
Immediately stop using the affected helmets. Contact Sakar to process your refund (see below), but don’t return the helmet to the retailer you bought it from. (2)
How To Get A Refund Or Replacement
Return the recalled helmet to Sakar to receive a $30 gift card. You can also contact them for prepaid postage packaging you can use to return the helmet. (1)(2)
According to the recall advisory, Sakar will also contact known purchasers or registered buyers regarding this safety issue. (1)(2)
You can reach Sakar through the following channels:
- Phone: 800-592-9541 from 9 AM to 12 PM ET
- Email: [email protected]
- Recall site (parent company): vivitar.com/pages/recalls
- Official website (parent company): vivitar.com (click on “Recalls” at the bottom)
For the 2022 recall:
The above also applies to the 2022 recall. It’s suggested you also stop using the helmet immediately, but don’t return to Walmart. Instead, contact Sakar to receive your prepaid postage packaging for returning the recalled helmet and get your $40 Walmart gift card. (1)(3)
Are These Recalled Tony Hawk Helmets Still Safe To Use?
No. These Tony Hawk helmets and the two other recalled Sakar helmets are unsafe to use. The only remedy is to get another certified helmet. (1)(2)
Other Tony Hawk Products
- Triple8 (Triple Eight) Certified Sweatsaver Helmet – Tony Hawk Edition, known as Tony’s Pro Model of “The Holy Grail of Comfort” and Protection (high-impact absorbing EPS foam with dual certified protection: complies with the U.S. CPSC Bike and ASTM F-1492 Skate Safety standards)*
- Tony Hawk Signature Series: Scooter & Bike Helmet
- Tony Hawk Multi-Sport Helmet (rollerskating, other skater sports such as using inline skates, BMX or mountain biking, etc.)
- Tony Hawk Longboard
- Tony Hawk Kids Protective Set (includes skate helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and wrist guards)
- Tony Hawk Seven 20 Pro Skate Pad Set Signature Series
- Tony Hawk Sweatsaver Liners (for the Skateboard helmet)
*EPS foam means “expanded polystyrene foam”; ASTM means “American Society for Testing and Materials”
Where Are Tony Hawk Helmets Made?
- China (2)(3)
What Are The Available Sizes For These Products?
The Tony Hawk signature lines are available in these sizes below (adults or kids), subject to availability from your chosen retailer:
Does Purchasing Tony Hawk Products Benefit Others?
Yes. Aside from being a famous professional athlete, Tony Hawk is also a well-known philanthropist.
Buying his signature line from certain shops, such as Triple Eight, can help others because these sites promise to donate a portion of the sales to The Skatepark Project, formerly known as The Tony Hawk Foundation. This will help empower the youth by building public skateparks in low-income communities.
What Should I Consider Before I Checkout?
- Product description
- Price (discounted vs. regular price)
- Store’s return policy
- Product recalls
Who’s Lizzie Armanto?
She’s an American-Finnish skateboarder and Tony Hawk’s protégé (student). In 2018, Armanto became the first woman to conquer Tony Hawk’s 360 loop, a 14-foot track with a 16-foot roll described to be similar to a toy car’s race track. (4)
Other Recent Baby Product Recalls & Safety Warnings
Check these comprehensive lists of product recalls by category:
- Stroller recalls (2020 to 2023)
- Recalled toys list (2020 to 2023)
- Baby formula recall (2001 to 2022)
- Baby food recall (2015 to 2022)
- Pacifier recall (2019 to 2022)
- Baby wipes recall (2014 to 2022)
Other individual product recalls:
- Avanos Ballard infant ventilator system recall (2023)
- Walker Edison bunk bed recall (2023)
- Skip Hop activity center recall (2023)
- Mockingbird stroller recall (2023)
- Kindred Bravely bamboo nursing hoodie recall (2023)
- Cybex recall (2023)
- Calico Critters recall (2023)
- Patagonia recall (2023)
- Safety 1st recall (2023)
- Maxi Cosi recall (2023)
- Lancaster high chair recall (2023)
- Kids Preferred Disney character figurines recall (2023)
- Fabuloso cleaning products recall (2023)
- PJ Salvage pajamas (2023)
- Target blanket recall (2022)
- Crate & Barrel crib recall (2022)
- Target toy recall (2022)
- Laundress recall (2022)
- HABA recall (2022)
- Bentex children’s clothing recall (2022)
- Otteroo infant flotation ring safety warning (2022)
- Green Sprouts sippy cup recall (2022)
- Parent’s Choice wipes removal from shelves (2022)
- Toddleroo cabinet latch recall (2022)
- Baby Trend stroller recall (2022)
- UPPAbaby stroller recall (2022)
- 4moms Rockaroo recall (2022)
- NUK glass bottle recall (2022)
- Kidoozie play tent recall (2022)
- BIBS bottle recall (2022)
- Winter Water Factory baby clothes recall (2022)
- Babyganics bubble bath product recall (2022)
- Frigg pacifier recall (2022)
- Maxi Cosi Pria 85 recall (2021)