Over 3.2 million units of Calico Critters flocked animal figures and play sets, sold with bottle and pacifier accessories, were recalled on March 9, 2023, over choking risks, which led to the death of two children. (1)(2)
Tiny accessories (i.e., bottle and pacifier) included with the toy set can pose a choking hazard to young children. (1)(2)
Which Calico Products were affected, what’s the remedy for this recall, and what should you do if you have these recalled toys? Keep reading to find out.
Calico Critters Recall 2023
Recall Details: What Happened To Calico Critters?
On March 9, 2023, Epoch Everlasting Play LLC and the CPSC (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) announced the recall of over 3.2 Calico Critters play sets involved in three choking incidents with the pacifier accessory, two of which led to the children’s death. (2)
According to the recall announcement, a 2-year-old child died in New Mexico in 2018, while a 9-month-old child died in Japan in 2015. (2)
It’s unclear why the company and CPSC issued the 2023 recall eight and five years after the related deaths.
This toy recall includes different Calico Critters flocked animal figures and play sets, all sold with bottle and pacifier accessories. Play sets sold with other accompanying toys aren’t included in this recall. (1)(2)
What Products From Calico Critters Are Being Recalled?
The following are the model codes and item numbers of the Calico Critters play sets (sold with bottle and pacifier accessories) included in this recall: (1)(2)
- SANDY CAT TWINS – CC1407
- CHIHUAHUA TWINS – CC1450
- BORDER COLLIE TWINS – CC1459
- HAZELNUT CHIPMUNK TWINS – CC1481
- FLUFFY HAMSTER TWINS – CC1491
- WILDER PANDA TWINS – CC1508
- CUDDLE BEAR TWINS – CC1510
- SLYDALE FOX TWINS – CC1529
- HAWTHORNE TWINS – CC1533
- ELLWOODS ELEPHANT TWINS – CC1571
- PERSIAN CAT TWINS – CC1586
- FISHER CAT TWINS – CC1641
- BL HOPSCOTCH RABBIT TWIN – CC1643
- HIGHCHAIR AND ACCESSORIES – CC1664
- BUTTERCUP TWINS – CC1689
- CC SILK CAT TWINS – CC1694
- BL TOY POODLE TWINS – CC1737
- BABY NURSERY SET – CC1750
- TWINS ASSORTMENT (PK 9) – CC1761
- BL MAPLE CAT TWINS – CC1795
- BL PICKLEWEEDS HEDGE TWIN – CC1924
- JASON AND AMANDA VISIT DR. MURDOCK – CC1955
- CARRY CASES (PK 1) – CC1965
- BEAGLE TWINS – CC2006
- YELLOW LABRADOR TWINS – CC2019
- ADVENTURE TREEHOUSE GIFT – CC2067
- BABY’S NURSERY SET – CC2269
- BABY NURSERY (PK4) – CC2269P4
- JESS & NOAH’S BACKYARD FUN – CC2484
- BL SOPHIE’S LOVE N CARE – CC2537
- SOPHIE LOVE N CARE (PK4) – CC2537P4
- NIGHTLIGHT NURSERY SET – CC2597
- BABY’S BLUE BEDROOM SET WITH NIGHTLIGHT – CC2598
- BL SANDY CAT TWINS – CF1407
- BL HOPSCOTCH RABBIT TWINS – CF1412
- BL ELLWOOD ELEPHANT TWINS – CF1416
- BL YELLOW LAB TWiNS – CF1418
- SILK CAT TWINS – CF1424
- BL PICKLEWEEDS HEDGEHOG TWINS – CF1429
- BL HAZELNUT CHIPMUNK TWINS – CF1481
- BL FLUFFY HAMSTER TWINS – CF1491
- BL CUDDLE BEAR TWINS – CF1510
- BL NIGHTLIGHT NURSERY SET – CF1513
- BL WILDER PANDA TWINS – CF1520
- BL BORDER COLLIE TWINS – CF1526
- BL BABY’S NURSERY SET – CF1554
- BL PERSIAN CAT TWINS – CF1586
- BL ADV TREEHOUSE GIFT SET – CF1717
- BL TOY POODLE TWINS – CF1737
- BL BABY NURSERY SET – CF1750
- BL TWINS ASSORTMENT – CF1761
- BL MAPLE CAT TWINS – CF1795
- BL SOPHIE’S LOVE N CARE – CF2537
- BL SOPHIE’S LOVE N CARE – CF2537P4
How Do I Know If My Calico Critters Have Been Recalled?
Check the bottom of the product packaging for the item numbers and model codes listed above. (1)(2)
The pacifier accessories are in these colors: (1)(2)
- Teal color
- Dark pink
The bottle accessories (style of the bottle varies as one or two handles) are available in these colors: (1)(2)
- Orange color
These toys were sold at the following outlets and stores from January 2000 through December 2021: (1)(2)
- Calico Critters (calicocritters.com)
- Amazon (amazon.com)
- Other stores nationwide and online shops
What To Do With The Recalled Calico Critters?
Remove the recalled bottle and pacifier accessories from the set. Destroy these accessories and dispose of them properly. (1)(2)
Be sure to take a photo of the destroyed accessories to receive a free replacement.
Epoch Everlasting Play LLC will provide one free replacement accessory (toy car or train accessory) for every destroyed recalled piece. (1)(2)
Are These Recalled Calico Critters Products Still Safe To Use?
The animal figures in the set are still safe to use. Only the bottle and pacifier accessories pose a choking risk.
How To Get A Refund Or Replacement
Cut the handle of the pacifier and the top off the bottle using scissors.
Pine Brook company Epoch Everlasting Play LLC requires a photo as destruction proof of the recalled accessories.
Submit your photo/s to get free replacement accessories.
You can also contact the company using the following channels:
- Phone: 800-631-1272 from 9 AM to 5 PM ET Monday through Friday
- Email: [email protected]
- Recall site: epocheverlastingplay.com/recalls
- Company’s official website: epocheverlastingplay.com, then click on “Product Recalls” (top of the homepage)
- Brand’s official website: calicocritters.com/en-us/, then click on “Recall Information” (top of the homepage)
Calico Critters Recall FAQs
What Are Calico Critters Called Now?
They’re known as Sylvanian Families outside North America but remain as Calico Critters in Canada and the US.
Are Calico Critters And Sylvanian Families The Same Thing?
Yes. The names are different, depending on where they’re sold, but they’re the same thing.
Are Calico Critters From Japan?
Yes. The brand was introduced in Japan in 1985 and later sold worldwide. (3)
However, according to the CPSC notice, the recalled toys are made in China. (2)
Are All Calico Critters Products Included In The Recall?
No. Only the Calico products listed above, sold with bottle and pacifier accessories, are included in this voluntary recall. Products sold with other accessories aren’t included.
Other Toys From Calico Critters
Some of the Calico Critters toys that aren’t included in this recall:
- Calico Critters Baby
- Calico Critters Blind Bag
- Calico Critters Chocolate Rabbit Family
- Calico Critters Dollhouse Furniture
- Calico Critters Dollhouse Playset
- Calico Critters Family (e.g., Persian cat family, Koala family, Tuxedo cat family, etc.)
- Calico Critters Kidding Around New York City
- Calico Critters Playset
- Calico Critters Red Roof Cozy Cottage
- Calico Critters Stack & Play Bunk Beds
- Calico Critters Town Series
- Calico Critters Trick or Treat Parade
- Calico Critters Triplets
Our Recommendations For Toys
- Baby toys
- Educational toys
- Educational toys for toddlers
- Educational toys for 2-year-olds
- Educational toys for 3-year-olds
- Montessori baby toys
- Montessori climbing toys
- Montessori toys
- Montessori toys for toddlers
- Montessori toys for 1-year-olds
- Montessori toys for 3-year-olds
- Montessori toys for 4-year-olds
- Montessori wooden toys
- Outdoor toys for 1-year-olds
- Toys for 1-year-olds
- Toys for 2-year-olds
- Toys for 6-year-old boys
- Wooden educational toys
Monitoring Product & Toy Recalls
Stay informed with the latest news by signing up for our regular recall alerts Motherhood Community you can make sure you never miss an important recall.
You can also follow government agencies such as the CPSC and FDA for these reports.
Here’s a list of other recalled toys:
- Rollerblade USA inline skates recall (2023)
- IKEA toy recall (2023)
- Jetson Hoverboard recall (2023)
- Delta Children Swing recall (2023)
- Skip Hop Activity Center’s toy recall (2023)
- Kids Preferred Disney character figurines recall (2023)
- HABA recall (2022)
- Target toy recall (2022)
- Kidoozie play tent recall (2022)
- Monti Kids recall (2022)