Did you know that as many as 4,000 seemingly healthy babies unexpectedly die in the US due to SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), accidental suffocation, or unknown causes? (1)
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
According to the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration), many of these deaths are due to babies rolling to their stomachs and suffocating on their mattresses, pillows, infant sleep positioners, or other items inside their cribs. (1)
To reduce the risk of suffocation, the FDA recommends making your baby sleep in a bare crib. Soft toys, pillows, blankets, quilts, comforters, and extra clothes should never be put inside their sleeping areas. (1)
So, in choosing a bassinet or crib mattress, make sure that it’s made of breathable material.
It costs more than most crib mattresses, but the Newton Crib Mattress is a breathable bed that can help reduce your baby’s suffocation risks while sleeping. Is it worth your money? Continue reading this review to find out.
Pricing for Standard Size
- Essential: $249.99
- Original: $299.99
- Waterproof: $349.99
Pricing for Mini Crib Mattress Size
- Essential: $199.99
Standard Size: Does The Newton Mattress Fit All Cribs?
The 2-stage Newton Crib Mattress can be used for infant cribs and toddler beds.
Weight: 14 lbs
Dimensions: 52” x 28” x 5.5” or 4”
- Essential: 4-inch thick with a single-layer removable cover
- Original: 5.5-inch thick with a dual-layer removable cover
- Waterproof: 5.5-inch thick with a dual-layer removable cover
Mini Crib Mattress Size
It fits standard bassinets.
Weight: 9 lbs
Dimensions: 38” x 24” x 3”
- Essential: 3-inch thick with a single layer removable crib sheet
- 100% hypoallergenic and allergen-free
- 100% breathable
- 100% machine washable
- 100% recyclable
- No toxic chemical fire retardants
- It uses natural, chemical-free, fire-resistant materials that exceed rigorous federal flammability standards.
- It’s made from natural viscose material (reconstituted wood pulp)
- The patented Wovenaire core is made from 10% food-grade polymer and 90% air.
- No foam
- No glue
- No latex
- No metal springs
- No VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
- Waterproof cover option available
- Natural viscose cover exceeds rigorous federal flammability standards but uses natural, chemical-free materials.
- It doesn’t use memory foam
- All Newton Baby Crib mattresses are Greenguard Gold Certified (products with this certification are non-toxic and have very low chemical emissions if any).
- All crib mattresses and crib mattress pads are tested independently and certified for low chemical emissions.
- No harmful VOCs (volatile organic compounds)
- Meets CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) standards
- Meets ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) International standards
This firm mattress supports babies and toddlers who are up to 130 lbs. It may be ideal for side sleepers, back sleepers, or stomach sleepers.
Does Newton Mattress Reduce SIDS?
Breathability is an important factor in choosing your baby’s sleep bed. It may help avoid the risk of suffocation and SIDS.
A breathable crib mattress may also help regulate your baby’s body temperature to avoid overheating and sweaty backs.
Newton Baby claims that based on third-party CPSC testing, your baby gets 97% more air when breathing through this mattress than a conventional waterproof crib mattress. (2)
Other Key Features
- It’s made in the USA
- It comes in different colors (cloud white, moonlight grey, sunrise pink, and sky blue)
The brand offers a 100-night trial for products bought from the Newton Baby website. If you’re not satisfied with your baby’s crib mattress, you get a full refund.
This sleep trial begins when your baby comes home from the hospital. So, you can still purchase this crib mattress in advance.
This sleep trial doesn’t cover mattresses bought from other sources. Instead, you have to follow the store’s return policy.
All Newton crib mattresses also come with a lifetime-limited warranty. The crib mattress pad only has a 2-year limited warranty.
This warranty only covers the original buyer. You should provide proof of purchase before you can get a refund.
Note that the warranty only applies to the quality of the product. It doesn’t cover soiling and staining, normal wear and tear, accidental or intentional damage, mishandling, and mattresses that don’t contain the original manufacturer’s tags.
For warranty or refund concerns and further information, you may reach Newton Baby through:
- (800) 686-3986
- [email protected]
- Newton Baby products may be shipped to addresses in the US and Canada.
- They’re available on the Newton Baby website, Amazon, Buy Buy Baby stores, and other retail outlets.
Pros & Cons
Pros: Can Babies Breathe Through Newton Mattress?
- It’s designed to be breathable so your baby can still breathe even while sleeping face down.
- It’s made from non-toxic materials
- It passes rigorous quality testing
- Everything in this mattress is washable and easy to clean
- It’s a 2-in-1 baby product that can be used as a toddler bed
- It regulates temperature to prevent overheating
- The quilted cover has a cloud pattern and comes in different color options
- It’s a fire-resistant baby product but doesn’t use toxic fire retardants
- It’s allergen-free
- It’s lightweight and fits standard crib sizes
- It doesn’t exceed the standard crib mattress thickness of 6 inches
- It’s Greenguard Gold Certified
- It’s made from non-toxic polymers that retain their shape for years, as long as you follow the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions (such as not using heat to dry the patented Wovenaire core)
- The cover fully zips off for easy cleaning and washing
- No product recall
- It’s more expensive than most crib mattresses.
- The breathable material also allows pee to pass through the mattress
- It doesn’t come with a mattress pad
- You can’t use a waterproof mattress pad over the crib mattress if your baby is less than one year old because that can make it less breathable.
- There’s a waterproof mattress variant, but it’s the most expensive ($349.99) of all the options.
- The 100-night trial warranty only applies to purchases made on the official Newton Baby website.
- It’s not organic
Newton Crib Mattress Reviews
“We love the peace of mind knowing that the mattress is 100% breathable since we don’t want to worry about SIDS. We love that it’s easy to clean too—worth the extra money!” – Reviewer on Baby List.
“I’m already so happy I have this mattress. She automatically became a face-planter and tummy sleeper. And I’m able to rest easy at night knowing she is on this mattress.” – Reviewer on Newton Baby.
“Love this mattress. My son likes to sleep face down, so this gives me a little peace of mind. Also, he’s now sleeping almost 1.5 hours longer every night! I call that a win.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
“So the reviews say it reeks of chemicals? I thought, ‘must have been a bad batch.’ Nope. THIS THING REEKS. I opened it up, and the smell hit me like I had walked into a Sherwin-Williams paint store.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
“I am a bit disappointed by this expensive mattress. Long time spent reading and searching for a non-toxic mattress. And it smells so much that it is impossible to stay in the room. I don’t understand why only 1% of the reviews mention the smell. It is hard not to notice it.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
“This mattress stinks. Like most of the parents who end up finding this mattress, I found it after weeks of research for the most breathable crib mattress on the market. Unfortunately, it has a terrible chemical smell that hits you as soon as you take it out of the box. The smell didn’t go away after airing it out. Every time I caught a whiff, I would get an instantaneous headache. The smell was not because of “off-gassing” or tight packaging.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
Newton Baby Crib Mattress FAQs
Is The New Baby Crib Mattress Organic?
This crib mattress isn’t organic, but it’s certified for low chemical emissions and no toxic VOCs.
Is The Newton Mattress Safe?
Made from natural materials with Greenguard Gold Certification, the crib mattresses are free from off-gassing, the scent of new products. (3)
While the “new” scent smells good, that could be due to toxic VOCs and other chemicals that can harm your little one.
Do Breathable Crib Mattresses Work?
Some parents who reviewed the product tested its breathability by putting their face down on the mattress. They were able to breathe even if their entire face was flat on the mattress.
Are Newton Mattresses Worth It?
These crib mattresses are expensive: the cheapest standard size costs $249.99 while the waterproof version costs $349.99.
There are other brands that sell durable foam and innerspring mattresses for $100 to $200. You can even find other organic crib mattresses within that price range, but others cost over $400.
Newton Baby markets its baby crib mattresses as breathable, low-chemical baby products that allow better sleep for your baby up to their toddler years. (2)
Some parents believe the price tag is too high, but others believe that the safety features could make this crib mattress worth it because it gives them peace of mind.
Also, these baby products are washable, firm, and may last until your baby’s toddler years.
How Do I Know If The Mattress Is Firm Enough?
Some parents suggest testing the mattress firmness by putting household items about the same weight as your baby. Check if the item sinks on the mattress.
How Can I Wash This Crib Mattress?
You can wash all the parts of this mattress. But it’s best to wash the mattress core only on a seasonal basis or if your baby makes a really big mess.
If needed, wash the core under running water and shake the excess water off. Stand upright to dry. Place it in a well-ventilated area, but avoid direct sunlight. Don’t use heating elements for drying.
The mattress cover can be washed as often as you can, but only wash the encasement (second layer) when soiled.
Both the mattress cover and the encasement can be washed inside the washing machine. Don’t leave damp from the wash, and don’t hang dry. Use a low heat setting for tumbling dry.
If the natural Viscose material develops an odor, add ½ cup baking soda while washing.
Is The Newton Mattress Double Sided?
You can use both sides of the Newton mattress for infants and toddlers alike. The sides have the same firmness that may be ideal for both stages.
Newton Waterproof Crib Mattress Pad
If you already have a crib mattress at home, you can add a Newton waterproof crib mattress pad to help make it breathable.
It costs $79.99 for one set or $129.99 for two sets.
The crib mattress pad has a TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) waterproof lining, a universal fitted skirt, and two layers of breathable quilted spacer material.
This product is also Greenguard Gold Certified for your baby’s health.
You can also add this waterproof mattress pad to your non-waterproof Newtown crib mattress or opt to buy the waterproof mattress option.
But Newton Baby doesn’t recommend using the mattress pad until your little one is one year old to maximize the Newton crib mattress’s breathability benefits.
Summary & Recommendation
Choose the Newton Crib mattress if:
- You want peace of mind in a breathable mattress for your baby
- You want a mattress that’s fire-resistant but without toxic flame retardants
- You want non-toxic baby products that pass rigorous quality tests
- You want a mattress with a washable core
- You want a product that grows with your baby
- You want a 100% hypoallergenic bed for your baby
- You’re looking for a crib mattress that’s Greenguard Gold Certified
- You prefer baby products with no product recalls
- You don’t mind paying more for a safe bed.
Don’t choose the Newton crib mattress if:
- You prefer an organic crib mattress
- You want one with a mattress pad
- You’re looking for a mattress within a lower price range
- You don’t mind a mattress with non-breathable material (not recommended!)