The name Robert is among the classic boy names that tend to command a certain level of formality, authority, and power.
This popular German boy name has been attributed to several royals, significant historical figures, notable individuals, and even saints.
In this article, you’ll learn why the name Robert has withstood the test of time as a popular baby boy name.
Information About Robert
Meaning Of The Name Robert & Origin
How Did Robert Get His Name?
It’s a combination of two Germanic words:
- “Hrod” – meaning light
- “Beraht” – meaning bright
These form the Germanic name Hrodebert, meaning “bright fame” or “shining glory.”
Origin & Nationality
*“Germanic” refers to a group of languages that also includes Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, English, Dutch, and Icelandic; German is a West Germanic language
What is the Old English Meaning of Robert?
- An Old English boy name meaning “bright fame”
What Is The German & Teutonic Meaning Of Robert?
- “Hrodebert” meaning “bright fame”
What Is The Scottish Meaning Of Robert?
- “Glory bright”
- “Shining with glory”
Spanish Boy Name Meaning
- “Bright flame” (spelled as “Roberto”)
French Boy Name Meaning
- “Shining glory”
- “Bright honor”
- “Bright fame”
- “Shining glory”
- Characters Sir Robert Faulconbridge and his son, Robert Faulconbridge, in Shakespeare’s “King John” play
What Does The Name Robert Mean Biblically?
While the name Robert doesn’t appear in the Bible, it can symbolically mean someone who leads people to God’s covenant.
It’s because Robert is a derivative of the Hebrew words “rosh,” meaning “head” or “leader,” and “berith,” which means “covenant.” (1)
Robert Name History: How Long Has Robert Been Around?
While the name Robert had occasionally been used in Anglo-Saxon England before the 1066 Norman Conquest, the Normans made the name widely popular in England as a royal name. (2)
Meanwhile, Robert as a family name was traced in the US, UK, Scotland, and Canada starting in the 1840s. (2)
What Is Robert In Different Languages?
- Roberto (Italian boy name)
- Robertson (English)
- Ruprecht (German)
- Robrecht (Dutch)
- Hrodebert (Ancient Germanic)
Robert’s Name Pronunciation
Number Of Letters
- 6 letters
Number Of Syllables
- Two syllables
What’s The Gender Of Robert’s Name?
The name Robert is often given to boys.
What Does The Name Robert Symbolize?
Because of its meaning of “bright fame,” the name may symbolize someone notable, respected, and honored.
This can also symbolize an inspiring person.
Robert As A Last Name
- Usually spelled “Roberts” (as in American actress “Julia Roberts”)
Popularity Of The Last Name Robert Or Roberts
“Robert” isn’t a popular last name. According to Forebears, it ranks #1,770 for last names in the US. (see image below) (9)
The spelling variant “Roberts” (with an “s”) is more popular and ranks #43 in the US for last names. (see image below) (10)
Last Names Of Robert’s Descendants
- Robertson (also an English boy name that means “son of Robert”)
- Robertson ( also a Norwegian name that means “son of Robert”)
US Stats: Is The Name Robert Popular?
Robert’s Popularity Trend Over The Years
According to SSA (Social Security Administration), the name Robert has been losing popularity over the years. However, it remains among the top 100 Most Popular Names. (3)
*You can also search for other name data using the tools under “Items of Interest” on the SSA’s website: ssa.gov/oact/babynames
Robert’s Popularity In The US
- #84 in SSA’s 2022 Most Popular Names
Where Is The Name Robert Popular?
- The US
- All over Europe and other English-speaking countries
In the US, interest in “Robert” has been highest in these areas the past 12 months: (11)
FAQs About Robert’s Name Meaning
Does Robert Have A Positive Meaning & Connotation?
Definitely! The name Robert may be attributed to someone esteemed and highly respected. It’s a great name choice for a future leader.
What Is The Style Of The Name Robert?
It sounds formal, vintage, and a classic name for boys.
What Might People Think About The Name Robert?
For literary lovers, the author Robert Frost could easily come to their mind. Meanwhile, Hollywood enthusiasts would remember the actor Robert De Niro.
Personalities that people might associate with Robert:
What Name Means A Gift From God?
While Robert doesn’t translate to “Gift From God,” other popular names attributed to the meaning are:
Personality & Character Of The Name Robert
The archetype of Robert could be someone wise, intelligent, and a natural leader.
What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Robert?
The name Robert could mean nobility, fame, leadership, and honor.
Is Robert A Royal Name?
Yes! Robert was a popular royal name, particularly Kings of Scotland, during the Middle Ages. Here are some royals named Robert in history:
- King Robert I or Robert the Bruce (1306 – 1329) – The King of Scots in the 14th Century who fought against Edward I of England for Scottish independence. (4)
- King Robert II of Scotland (1371 – 1390) – He took the surname Steward and started the Royal House of Stewart. (5)
- King Robert III of Scotland (1390 – 1406) – The eldest son of King Robert II, who became physically disabled following a horse riding accident. (6)
- Prince Robert d’Orléan of France (1840 – 1910) – He served as a French army officer during the American Civil War (7)
- Robert I, Duke of Normandy (1027 -1035) – Regarded a strong ruler, he was known as Robert the Magnificent or the Devil (8)
Why Do Parents Choose The Name Robert For Their Child?
Many parents tend to choose the name Robert because it sounds formal and classic.
Robert Name Usage & Variations
Spelling In Script
Robert Boy Name Variations
Robert Unisex & Girl Name Variations
- Bobbi (gender-neutral name)
What Are Nicknames And Diminutives For Robert?
Names You Can Pair With Robert
Middle Names For Boys To Pair With Robert
Suggested Twin Or Sibling Names
Robert’s Sister’s Names
Robert’s Brother’s Names
Rhyming Or Similar Names
Other Popular German Names With Meanings Related To Leaders / Rulers
- Alexander (Defender of mankind)
- Albrecht (Noble, famous, and bright)
- Adelbert (Noble and bright)
- Alaric (Noble ruler)
- Armin (Guardian)
- Christoph (Bearing Christ)
- Friedrich (Powerful ruler)
- Adele (Nobility)
- Ada (Noble)
- Frieda (Peace-loving)
- Matilda (Mighty in battle)
- Irmina (War goddess)
Other Names You Might Also Like
Some of the best boy names:
Other Last Names To Match Robert & Similar Names
Some last names that might be suitable for Robert and similar choices:
Famous People Named Robert & Other Related Names
Famous Robert / Roberta Celebrities & Figures
- Robert De Niro – American Actor
- Robert Frost – American Poet
- Robert Downey Jr. – American Actor
- Robert Burns – Scottish Poet
- Robert Pattinson – American actor
- Robert Plant – Rock singer
- Robert Peel – Former British prime minister
- Robert Redford – American actor
- Robert Arthur Kardashian – American TV personality
- Roberta Flack – American singer
- Roberta Vinci – Italian tennis player
- Roberta Close – Brazilian fashion model
Fictional Characters Named Robert In Pop Culture & Fiction (Or Variations)
- Robert Baratheon – Character in the book “A Song of Ice and Fire” and the TV show “Game of Thrones”
- Robert Cohn – Character in Ernest Hemingway’s novel “The Sun Also Rises”
- Robert Langdon – Character in Dan Brown’s novel “The Da Vinci Code”
Celebrities With Robert Or Roberts As Last Name
- American poet Ada Palmer Roberts
- American recording artist Bob Roberts
- American wrestler Buddy Roberts
- American guitarist Darrell Roberts
- American actress Julia Roberts
- British science fiction writer Keith Roberts
- American mystery novel writer Les Roberts
- American character actor Roy Roberts
- British actress Veronica Roberts
Celebrities Who Chose Robert’s Name Or Variations For Their Babies
- Robert F. Kennedy III and Amaryllis Fox (Bobby Kennedy)
- Robert Godley and Jane Krakowski (Bennett Robert Godley)
Robert’s Name In Songs
- “Doctor Robert” – by The Beatles
- “Robert de Niro‘s Waiting” – by Bananarama
- “Robert Johnson” – by Bill Morrissey
- “Robert” – by Dolly Parton
Name Lists With “Robert” On Motherhood Community
Other Baby Girl Name Meanings
- Adeline name meaning
- Brielle name meaning
- Chloe name meaning
- Hannah name meaning
- Isabella name meaning
- Nicole name meaning
- Rose name meaning
- Sarah name meaning
- Victoria name meaning
- What does the name Emma mean?
Other Baby Boy Name Meanings
- Alex name meaning
- Andrew name meaning
- Charles name meaning
- Daniel name meaning
- Jack name meaning
- James name meaning
- Jordan name meaning
- Roman name meaning
- William name meaning
Popular & Trending Baby Name Lists
- Rare baby names for girls
- Biblical girl names
- Rare boy names
- Country boy names
- Classic boy names
- Goddess names for girls
- Girl dog names
- Androgynous names
- Mexican girl names
- Middle names for girls
- Exotic girl names
- Arabic boy names
- Names that mean fire
- Cool boy names
- Badass boy names
- Greek god and goddess names
- Greek god names
- Southern boy names
- Names that mean graceful
- Hippie girl names
- Witchy names
- African girl names
- Baby names for 2023
You can also find ideas from the top 15 baby name generators.