Curious about Jack name meaning and its origins?
While Jack isn’t currently on the list of the most popular baby names by the SSA (Social Security Administration), it’s still a commonly used given name or nickname. (1)
Information About Jack
Jack Name Meaning
- “God is gracious” – variant of the name John
- “Supplanter” or “the one who replaces” – diminutive of “James” and “Jacob”
It also has other meanings or connotations in other languages (see below).
Jack Meaning As A Celtic & Welsh Baby Name
- Celtic name: “Healthy and strong”
- Welsh name: “Health” (comes from the Welsh word “iach,” which means “health”)
What Is The Greek Meaning Of Jack?
It isn’t directly considered a Greek name but has some origins as a Greek and Latin variant of the Hebrew name “Yochanan” (John).
What Does The Scottish Name Jack Mean?
It’s also a diminutive of John as a Scottish name.
Jack Meaning As An English Baby Name
Jack is an English boy name that means “God is gracious.”
It was also used to mean “boy” or “man” during the Middle Ages, coming from the Norman name “Jackin” (man).
Jack Meaning As A Shakespearean Baby Name
It can mean “rebel” after Jack Cade, a character in William Shakespeare’s historical play, “Henry VI, Part 2.”
Jack Meaning As A Polish Baby Name
Jack also means “God is gracious” as a Polish name.
Jack Meaning As A Hebrew Baby Name
Jack means “supplanter” as a derivative of the Hebrew name “Jacob.”
Jack Meaning As A French Baby Name
Jack means “supplanter” as a variant of the French boy name “Jacques.”
Jack Meaning As An American Baby Name
Jack is linked to “John” as an American baby name.
Due to its other meanings, Jack is also considered a metaphor for “any man” or “common man.” The best example of this is the term “jack of all trades,” which means “a man who knows a lot of trades or skills.”
Origin & History
The name Jack is a primarily English name that began as “John” in the Middle Ages.
It went from “John” to “Johnkin” before becoming “Jankin.” The name then transformed to “Jackin” and later shortened to “Jack.”
It’s often considered a nickname for the given name John, yet it can also be a short boy name that can stand on its own as a first name.
It also has links to “Jackson,” a first and last name that means “son of John” or “son of Jack.”
Jack might also have roots in names from Scotland or the Middle Ages, including “Jak,” “Jakke,” and “Jagge.”
Is Jack A Last Name?
Yes. Jack is a common last name in Scotland and is also used in the US and England.
One of its variants, “Jackson,” is also commonly used as a first and last name.
What’s the Gender Of Jack?
It comes from the primarily masculine name John, but “Jack” (or its variations such as Jac) is considered a gender-neutral (can be used for any gender) or nonbinary name (doesn’t identify with one specific gender).
Certain variants, however, aren’t gender-free (e.g., “Jacob” is primarily male; “Jacqueline” and “Jacklyn” are girl names).
US Stats: Is The Name Jack Popular?
Jack Popularity Trend Over The Years
Jack* hasn’t been in the top 10 list of popular baby names in the US since 2000, but it’s still within the top 50. (1)
*Search for name popularity under “Items of Interest” on the SSA website (ssa.gov/oact/babynames/index.html). (1)
Jack Popularity In US States
Jack wasn’t listed in the top 5 in any US state for births from 1922 to 2021 (latest SSA data). (2)
Why Is The Name Jack So Popular?
Jack remains in the top 50 favorite names in the US. It’s popular because of its versatility as a first name, middle name, nickname, or last name.
FAQs About Jack Name Meaning
Is Jack A Biblical Name?
No. It isn’t found in the Bible, but it still has links to biblical names “John,” “James,” and “Jacob.”
What Does The Name Jack Mean In The Bible?
It’s derived from “John,” the apostle believed to be the author of the Book of John.” There are four other Johns in the Bible.
It also comes from “James” (another apostle) and “Jacob” (one of Israel’s founders and father of the 12 tribes).
Is Jack A Romantic Name?
Yes. It’s linked to Jack Dawson, the love interest of the “Titanic” character and survivor Rose DeWitt Bukater.
Is Jack A Royal Or Prince Name?
Jack is considered more of a knight’s name than a prince name.
What’s The Personality Of Someone Named Jack?
- Chivalrous (with its links to knights)
- Religious and kind (with its links to biblical names)
- Filled with health and energy (Celtic and Welsh origins)
- Manly and hardworking (English and Norman origins)
Jack Name Related Names & Variations
Jack Boy Name Variations
Jack Unisex & Girl Name Variations
What Are Nicknames & Diminutives For The Name Jack?
Names You Can Pair With Jack
Middle Names For Boys To Pair With Jack
Suggested Twin Or Sibling Names
Jack’s Sister Names
Jack’s Brother Names
Rhyming Or Similar Names
Famous People Named Jack & Other Related Names
Famous Jack Celebrities & Figures
- Jack Barakat – Lead guitarist of “All Time Low”
- Jack Black – American actor and musician
- Jack Joseph Osbourne – English media personality
- Jack Kerouac – American novelist and poet
- Jack Nicholson – American Actor
- Jack White – American singer-songwriter and producer
Famous Jackies & Other Name Variations
- Jackie Chan – Hong Kong martial artist and actor
- Jackie Fullerton – TV presenter in Ireland
- Jacqueline “Jackie” Kennedy – Former US First Lady
Fictional Characters Named Jack In Pop Culture & Fiction
- Captain Jack Sparrow – Main character in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie series
- Jack in nursery rhymes “Jack and Jill,” “Little Jack Horner,” and “Jack Sprat”
- Jack in the fairytale “Jack and the Beanstalk”
- Jack Dawson – Protagonist in the “Titanic” movie
- Jack Hammer – Character in video game “Ace Attorney”
- Jack Tripper – Character in the TV show “Three’s Company”
Celebrities Who Chose Jack Names For Their Babies
- Chris Pratt and Anna Faris – Jack Pratt
- Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis – Jack Depp
Celebrities With Jack As Last Name
- Jarrett Jack – American professional basketball coach and former player
- Jill Jack – American singer-songwriter
Celebrities & Other People Named Jackson
- Jackson Browne – American singer-songwriter
- Jackson Pollock – American painter
Jack In Songs
- Captain Jack – Billy Joel
- Hey Jack Kerouac – 10,000 Maniacs
- Jack and Jill – Andrew Calhoun
- Jack Names the Planets – Ash
- Jack of All Trades – Hot Water Music
- Jack on Fire – The Gun Club, Blanche
Name Lists With “Jack” On Motherhood Community
- Gender-neutral names
- Middle names for boys
- Mystical names
- One-syllable boy names
- Short boy names
- Southern boy names
- Tough boy names
Popular & Trending Baby Name Lists
- Baby names for 2023
- Rare baby names for girls
- Biblical girl names
- Country boy names
- Classic boy names
- Exotic girl names
- Goddess names for girls
- Girl names starting with K
- Old-English names for men
- Greek gods and goddesses
- Beautiful names for girls
- Boy names with meanings
- Names that mean death
You can also find ideas from the top 15 baby name generators.
Other Baby Name Meanings
- Andrew name meaning
- Daniel name meaning
- James name meaning
- Rose name meaning
- What does the name Emma mean?
- William name meaning
Baby Name Lists By Letter
- Girl names starting with A
- Boy names starting with F
- Boy names starting with G
- Girl names starting with G
- Boy names starting with J
- Girl names starting with J
- Girl names starting with K
- Boy names that start with L
- Boy names starting with N
- Boy names starting with R
- Boy names that start with V
- Boy names starting with W
Other Resources For Pregnant Moms
- Anemia during pregnancy
- Best fish oil supplements
- Best prenatal vitamins
- Birth affirmations
- Birth doula
- Birth plan template
- Choline during pregnancy
- Essential oils for labor and delivery
- Hospital bag checklist
- Hot yoga while pregnant
- Iodine during pregnancy
- Normal iron levels during pregnancy
- Postpartum doula
- Postpartum essentials
- Pregnancy guide
- Pregnancy spotting
- Stress during pregnancy
- Vitamin D and pregnancy