Information About Andrew
Andrew Name Meaning
“Andrew” is a boy name meaning “strong and manly.”
Origin: Is Andrew A Hebrew Name?
What’s The Gender Of Andrew?
When spelled as “Andrew,” it’s mainly considered a baby boy’s name.
US Stats: Is The Name Andrew Popular?
Andrew isn’t currently on the top 10 popular baby names in the US, based on the latest data (2021) from the SSA (Social Security Administration). It currently ranks as #57. (1)(2)
Andrew Popularity Trend Over The Years
Andrew was in the top 10 from 2000 to 2007. However, its popularity rapidly declined. (2)
According to the SSA, Andrew’s popularity peaked in 2003 when it ranked #5. During that year, as many as 22,158 babies were named Andrew. (2)
The name also ranked #5 in the US in 1988, 1991, and 1992. (3)
Andrew’s Popularity In US States
Andrew didn’t rank in the top 5 most popular names in any of the US states in 2021, according to the SSA. (4)
FAQs About Andrew’s Name Meaning
What Does Andrew Mean Spiritually?
Andrew is a biblical name mentioned 12 times in the New Testament. These mentions refer to Andrew, one of Jesus’ 12 apostles. (5)
According to the Bible, Andrew was the first disciple Jesus called to join His mission. He’s Simon Peter’s brother, and they were called together while fishing in the Sea of Galilee.
He was later venerated by the Roman Catholic Church and called “Saint Andrew.” He’s currently the patron saint of Russia and Scotland. (6)
St. Andrew was buried in Patras (modern Pátrai), Greece, but his relics were moved to Constantinople (modern Istanbul) by Roman emperor Constantius II. (6)(7)
Today, the relics are at St Andrew’s altar in Edinburgh’s Metropolitan Cathedral of St Mary, while other parts of his skull are at St. Andrew’s Cathedral by the shore in Patras. (7)
Is Andrew A Powerful Name Choice?
Yes. Andrew is a powerful boy name because several notable people have this name throughout history.
Aside from Saint Andrew, there have also been powerful world leaders with this name, including:
- British King Edward VIII (born Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David) – reigned from January to December 1936
- US President Andrew Jackson (term: 1829 to 1837)
- US President Andrew Johnson (term: 1865 to 1869)
Is The Name Andrew Attractive & Cool?
Yes. Andrew is a classic boy name that’s cool and attractive because of its meaning.
Even if it’s no longer in the top 10 in recent years, it’s still in the US top 100 names. (2)
What’s The Biblical Meaning Of Andrew?
Some biblical scholars interpret the name to mean “the mighty one” or “conqueror.” (8)
How Many Andrews Are In The Bible?
There’s only one Andrew in the Bible – he’s one of Jesus’ 12 disciples.
What’s The Personality Of Andrew?
Of course, babies can have different personalities that aren’t directly affected by their names. However, some people associate Andrew with a religious or God-fearing person.
As one of the apostles, Andrew was a dedicated follower who, like the other disciples, became a committed missionary.
Some people also equate Andrew with leadership and power because two American presidents have had this name.
Is Andrew A Royal First Or Last Name?
No. Unlike “William” or “Edward,” Andrew isn’t considered a common royal name and is rarely used by the British monarchy.
Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, is one of the rare royal Andrews in the United Kingdom. He’s the second son and third child of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, and the younger brother of the reigning monarch, King Charles III.
What’s The Meaning Of Andrea In The Bible?
The name Andrew or Andrea means the same in the Bible as its Greek origin: “strong and manly.”
Andrew Name Variations
Boy Name Variations
- Aindrea (Scottish Gaelic)
- Aindréas (Irish name)
- Aindriú (Irish)
- Anaru (Maori)
- Ándaras (Sami)
- Ander (Basque)
- Anders (Scandinavian)
- Andor (Hungarian and English)
- Andras (Faroese and Hungarian)
- Andraž (Slovene)
- André (Portuguese and French name)
- Andreas (German, Danish, Welsh, Swedish, and Norwegian name)
- Andrei (Romanian and Russian name)
- Andrej (Macedonian and Slovene)
- Andreja (Croatian)
- Andrejs (Croatian and Czech)
- Andres (Spanish)
- Andrés (Icelandic and Spanish)
- Andreu (Catalan)
- Andrey (Belarusian, Bulgarian, French, and Russian)
- Andria (Corsican and Sardinian)
- Andries (Dutch)
- Andrieu (French)
- Andrii (Ukrainian and Russian)
- Andrija (Croatian)
- Andrija (Serbian)
- Andris (Latvian)
- Andrius (Lithuanian)
- Andriy (Ukrainian)
- Andro (Croatian and Georgian)
- Andros (Greek)
- Andrus (Estonian)
- Anti (Estonian)
- Andrzej (Polish name)
- Antero (Finnish)
- Antti (Finnish)
- Atte (Finnish)
- Bandi (Hungarian)
- Dand (Scots)
- Dries (Dutch)
- Endre (Old Norse, Hungarian, and Norwegian)
- Jędrzej (Polish)
- Ondřej (Czech)
- Ondrej (Slovak)
- Tero (Finnish)
- Andi (English)
- Andie (English)
- Andra (American)
- Andrea (Italian name)
- Andrine (Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, and Scandinavian)
What Are The Common Nicknames & Short Names For Andrew?
Names You Can Pair With Andrew
Rhyming Or Similar Names
Other Names For Boys That Start With A
Famous People Named Andrew & Other Related Names
- Andrew Carnegie – Scottish–American industrialist
- Andrew Cuomo – New York Governor
- Andrew Garfield – American-British actor
- Andrew Jackson – 7th US president
- Andrew Johnson – 17th US president
- Andrew Lincoln – English actor
- Andrew Lloyd Webber – English composer
- Andrew Poje – Ice dancer from Canada
- Andrew Scott – Actor from Ireland
- Prince Andrew – Duke of York
- Drew Barrymore – American actress
- Drew Carey – American comedian
- Drew Dober – American mixed martial artist
- Drew Struzan – American artist
- Andy Garcia – American actor
- Andy Roddick – American tennis player
- Andy Warhol – American artist
- Andy Williams – American singer
Fantasy Characters & Andrews In Pop Culture
- Andrew Neiman – Character in the movie “Whiplash”
- Andy Dufresne – Protagonist in “The Shawshank Redemption”
Andrew In Songs
- “A Boy Named Andrew” by Fantastic Negrito
- “A For Andrew” by Attack Attack!
- “Andrew’s Blues” by The Rolling Stones
- “Andrew Duffy’s Jig” by Jonatha Brooke
Name Lists With “Andrew” On Motherhood Community
- Boy names with meanings
- Classic boy names
- Norwegian names
- Old English names for boys
- Polish names
- Southern boy names
Other Baby Name Meanings
- Daniel name meaning
- Jack name meaning
- James name meaning
- Rose name meaning
- What does the name Emma mean?
- William name meaning
Popular Baby Name Lists
- Country boy names
- Unique girl names
- Girl names starting with K
- Male Greek god names
- Biblical girl names
- Mexican boy names
- Goddess names for girls
- Black girl names
- Old-English names for men
- Mexican girl names
- Middle names for girls
- Greek gods and goddesses
Other Resources For Pregnant Moms
- Anemia during pregnancy
- Best fish oil supplements
- Best prenatal vitamins
- Birth affirmations
- Birth doula
- Birth plan template
- Choline during pregnancy
- Essential oils for labor and delivery
- Hospital bag checklist
- Hot yoga while pregnant
- Iodine during pregnancy
- Normal iron levels during pregnancy
- Postpartum doula
- Postpartum essentials
- Pregnancy guide
- Pregnancy spotting
- Stress during pregnancy
- Vitamin D and pregnancy