Pregnancy can be a beautiful moment in your life. During this period, your body has more energy and nutrition needs, so you can:
- also provide for your baby’s needs
- avoid nutrient deficiencies that can increase miscarriage risks or birth defects
For example, around 28% of pregnant moms in the US can develop iron-deficiency anemia (inadequate red blood cells to carry oxygenated blood throughout the body) within their third trimester. (1)
- Increasing your intake of healthy, whole foods and taking dietary supplements rich in these nutrients (e.g., iodine, vitamin D, iron, etc.)
- Taking prenatal vitamins
In this article, we review The Honest Company Love The Bump Prenatal Vitamins (Prenatal Once Daily) and determine whether it has adequate nutrients and minerals to meet your nutritional needs for a healthy pregnancy.
What makes it different from other prenatal multivitamins, is it safe, and what are its potential side effects? Is it worth your money? What are the healthiest and best prenatal vitamins?
Keep reading to learn more.
The Honest Company Love The Bump Prenatal Vitamins Review
Where To Buy
This prenatal vitamin is available across several shops and online stores, including:
What Makes It Special?
- Contains some organic ingredients: organic ginger (rhizome) powder extract and organic spirulina (whole plant) powder
- Uses highly bioavailable nutrient forms (nutrients that are readily used by your body without additional processing)
- Has digestive enzymes (help break down food for better digestion)
- Made in the US using high-quality imported materials
- Bottles made of 100% PET (polyethylene terephthalate) post-consumer recycled plastic
- The brand claims that this product is doctor + dietitian reviewed.
- Non-GMO (free from genetically modified organisms)
- Free from artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrups, and artificial colors or flavors
- Free from allergens such as dairy, gluten, eggs, shellfish, and soy
- Type Or Form: Tablet
- Serving Size: One tablet per day
- Servings Included Per Pack: 30 tablets
- Certifications & Third-Party Testing: NSF Certified (National Sanitation Foundation)
- Guarantee & Returns: 90 days within your order date
Key Nutrients & Ingredients
The following are important nutrients found in The Honest Company Prenatal Vitamins that can help you have a healthy pregnancy, promote fetal development, and reduce the risks of pregnancy-related problems or deficiencies:
As the natural form of vitamin B9, folate is essential for a healthy pregnancy because it’s used in protein metabolism and the formation of your baby’s DNA and RNA. (2)
B9 is also an important vitamin that can help prevent neural tube defects, especially anencephaly (the baby develops with a missing brain and skull parts) and spina bifida (the baby’s spinal cord and spine don’t develop properly). (2)
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends a daily intake of 600 mcg folic acid or folate, or a prenatal multi vitamin with at least 400 mcg. (3)
L-methylfolate, the primary biologically active form of folate, is used in The Honest Company Prenatal Vitamins (1,105 mcg). This form is easier for your body to absorb.
- Preterm birth
- Newborn anemia
- Low birth weight
- Stunted or delayed growth
Your body needs a minimum of 27 mg of iron daily to meet pregnancy iron requirements. (3)
The Honest Co Prenatal Once Daily contains 27 mg of iron as ferrous bis-glycinate chelate.
Insufficient iodine levels can lead to miscarriage, premature birth, low birth weight, or birth defects such as cretinism, which causes intellectual disabilities and physical deformity. (5)(6)
ACOG recommends at least 220 mcg of iodine per day. (3)
The Honest Co’s daily vitamin supplement for pregnant women contains 200 mcg of iodine.
To meet your daily iodine requirements, add these iodine-rich foods to your diet:
- Beef liver
- Low-mercury fish and seafood (e.g., cod and shrimp)
- Seaweed (e.g., nori, kelp, and dulse)
- Dairy products (e.g., cheese, yogurt, and kefir)
ACOG recommends vitamin D supplementation of at least 15 mcg (600 IU) daily to help your baby develop strong bones. (3)
Adequate vitamin D during pregnancy can reduce the risks of: (7)(8)
- Low birth weight
- Rickets (soft or weak bones)
- ASDs (autism spectrum disorders)
You get as high as 35 mcg or 1,400 IU of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) from The Honest Company’s prenatal vitamins.
Other Essential Vitamins For Pregnant Women
The Honest Company Prenatal Vitamins can provide you with the following essential vitamins that meet ACOG’s daily requirements for pregnant women: (3)
- Vitamin A (770 mcg) – Transforms to beta-carotene; helps with bone growth and the formation of healthy eyesight and skin (Honest Co prenatal: 1200 mcg)
- Vitamin B1 or thiamin (1.4 mg) – Helps prevent complications in your baby’s brain, nervous system, heart, stomach, muscles, and intestines (Honest Co prenatal: 1.7 mg)
- Vitamin B6 (1.9 mg) – Helps in red blood cells production (Honest Co prenatal: 30 mg)
- Vitamin B7 or biotin (30 mcg) – Helps convert food into energy (Honest Co prenatal: 300 mcg)
- Vitamin B12 (2.6 mcg) – Helps promote a healthy nervous system (Honest Co prenatal: 8 mcg)
- Vitamin E (15 mg) – Helps protect cells from free radical damage (Honest Co prenatal: 20.1 mg)
- Vitamin K (65 mcg) – Helps blood clot (Honest Co prenatal: 80 mcg)
The product fails to meet the ACOG’s daily requirements for the following nutrients: (3)
- Calcium (1,000 to 1,300 mg) – Helps build strong bones and teeth (Honest Co prenatal: 130 mg)
- Magnesium (350-400 mg) – Helps regulate muscle and nerve function, and protein production (Honest Co prenatal: 25 mg)
- Vitamin C (85 mg) – Promotes your baby’s healthy bones, gums, and teeth (Honest Co prenatal: 60 mg)
- Zinc (15 mg) – Helps promote immune function, cell growth, and skin health (Honest Co prenatal: 13 mg)
Talk to your doctor about whether you need supplementation for the inadequate nutrients if you plan on getting this product.
You can also increase your intake of healthy, natural, and whole foods such as the following:
Foods rich in calcium include: (14)
- Dairy and dairy products (e.g., cheese)
- Chia seeds
- Leafy green vegetables (kale, spinach, etc.)
Foods rich in magnesium: (15)
- Chicken breast
- Sweet potato
- Leafy green vegetables
Foods rich in vitamin C: (16)
- Cheese or other dairy foods
- Citrus fruits
- Leafy green vegetables
Foods rich in zinc: (17)
Other Factors To Consider
How Does It Taste?
Some users complained about the aftertaste of this prenatal vitamin.
How Easy Is It To Use This Prenatal?
Using this prenatal can be easy because you only have to take it once daily. You can take it any time of the day, even on an empty stomach.
However, there are some complaints that the tablet is too big and difficult to swallow.
What Are The Side Effects Of Honest Company Prenatal Vitamins?
Because of their iron content, many prenatal vitamins, including Honest Co Prenatal Once Daily, can cause stomach upset, constipation, diarrhea, or colored stools.
Cons & Disadvantages
- Fails to meet ACOG’s daily requirements for calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, and zinc
- Several complaints about the tablets’ big size and aftertaste
- Some complaints about heartburn, nausea, and other side effects
- Like most prenatal vitamin supplements on the market, it doesn’t have omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA (docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid), which are important for brain development and can reduce the risks of dyslexia (learning disorder that involves difficulty in recognizing certain letters), autism, ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), dyspraxia (difficulty in performing coordinated movements), and aggression (9)
- Contains maltodextrin, which can cause green stools, gas, bloating, colic, and possible intestinal injury (10)
- Contains guar gum, which can cause diarrhea, flatulence, cramps, and abdominal pain (12)
- Doesn’t have probiotics (live microorganisms that can help promote digestion and immune system health)
Note that although silicon dioxide (one of this prenatal supplement’s ingredients) can increase cancer risks when high volumes are inhaled, studies show it doesn’t appear to have the same effect when used as a food additive. (13)
“It’s about the same size as others, but I like that is a compressed pill rather than a pill with a cover.” – Reviewer on Honest Co
“I enjoy taking these. They don’t bother my stomach at all and have a nice vanilla taste to them.” – Reviewer on Amazon
“Love it !!!! Doesn’t have that awful taste or aftertaste like the other brands do 🙂” – Reviewer on Walmart
“I used these when I was told I had low iron. They worked as a charm.” – Reviewer on Honest Co
“The pills do have a slight pineapple/vanilla smell, which helped me get them down despite morning sickness, but this could be unpleasant to some.” – Reviewer on Amazon
“These prenatals are said to have organic ingredients according to the website but when the prenatals were received there was no certified organic labeling on the bottle.” – Reviewer on Honest Co
“The huge downside to this is the size of the pill. I’ve taken MANY large pills before but this one is impossible to swallow.” – Reviewer on Amazon
“The flavor is just bad. I could not imagine trying to take this with morning sickness..there’s not coating or anything and flavor is horrible.” – Reviewer on Honest Co
“Pills were WAY too big to swallow. Got caught in my throat.” – Reviewer on Walmart
“Does not work! Smells awful and has a very strong aftertaste which is quite unpleasant. Have severe heartburn, nausea, etc. Do not recommend.” – Reviewer on Amazon
Can I Take Prenatal Once Daily With Prenatal DHA?
Yes. Honest Co Love The Bump Prenatal Once Daily can be taken together with the brand’s Think Ahead Pre + Postnatal DHA.
However, it’s important to consult your OB-GYNE before taking any supplements during your pregnancy.
Are There FDA-Approved Prenatal Vitamins?
None. Prenatal vitamins are considered dietary supplements and aren’t regulated by the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration).
So, it’s important to choose a trusted, well-known brand like Honest Company for your health and wellness before conception, during pregnancy, and through lactation.
What Are The Best, Healthiest, & Most Effective Prenatal Vitamins?
We recommend The Honest Company Prenatal Once Daily and the following prenatal supplements.
Read our article on the best prenatal vitamins for more information about each product:
Which Prenatal Vitamins Do Doctors Recommend?
Different doctors can have varied recommendations and will choose prenatal vitamins suitable for your needs.
For example, if your iron levels are low, you might need additional supplements besides your prenatal multi vitamins.
Other Pregnancy & Lactation Wellness Products From The Honest Company