Use These Anti-Aging Essential Oils Every Day To Turn Back The Clock
Essential oils (EOs) are highly concentrated plant extracts that offer multiple medicinal and wellness benefits.
EOs and plant therapeutics have been used for thousands of years by various cultures around the world because of their unique properties and effects on health, healing, and skincare.
Today their therapeutic application is referred to as aromatherapy.
The beauty industry incorporates different forms of plant extracts in many products on the market and you can also use individual oils and blends to boost the efficacy of your current youth-enhancing regimen.
The demand for natural skin care products is on the rise and there are many cost-effective DIY beauty hacks you can create at home without having to expose yourself to the harmful and toxic chemicals typically found in products.
How EOs work to improve the aging process
Even though EOs are highly effective at treating various conditions and issues they aren’t a magic potion or a cure-all.
Aging is a natural process of life and as time goes by we all age at different rates.
Fine lines and wrinkles appear because of normal wear and tear and loss of elasticity.
While it’s not realistic to think that you can stop aging altogether, you can take certain steps to slow down the process, minimize the visible signs, and improve skin health.
One important step is to incorporate EOs into your skincare routine if you haven’t done so already.
Because certain EOs offer specific benefits that are known to boost skin quality and appearance no matter your skin type:
- Antioxidants – Many oils are rich in antioxidants that help prevent oxidation of the skin (wear and tear) caused by free radicals that can damage skin cells.
- Anti-inflammatory properties – Free radicals damage results in inflammation which is a known contributor to accelerated skin aging.
- Anti-bacterial properties – Youthful, glowing skin is clean skin and many EOs possess powerful abilities to kill many bacteria. Did you know you’ve got hundreds of millions of bacteria on your skin? Bacterial infections and imbalances create further inflammation.
- Antiseptic effects – Again, a big secret to great skin is clean skin. Breakouts and blemishes can make skin appear older.
- Even skin tone – One way to minimize signs of aging is to balance dry skin, uneven skin tone, and reduce age spots, sunspots caused by sun damage, and hyperpigmentation.
- Boost collagen production – Collagen is the stuff that makes skin elastic and bouncy. You want this happening on your face.
- Promote cell turnover – One way to boost youthful skin is to get rid of old, dead skin cells so the shiny new ones can glow through!
The best essential oils for anti-aging effects
The best anti aging EOs will have one, multiple, or all of the specific benefits listed above.
This oil hosts multiple benefits like being anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich, and promoting skin healing. It also helps you chill out which is great for your skin because chronic, unmanaged stress is a big contributor to aging!
A 2013 study found that lavender oil’s potent antioxidant properties helped protect oxidative stress in the brain and this same mechanism helps reduce oxidative stress on the skin. (1)
The higher the oxidative stress on the skin, the fast it ages so this protective effect may help lessen wrinkles over time too.
Research indicates that Frankincense can help reduce dark spots, reduce scar visibility, improve complexion, and can support cell turnover. (2)
This all helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Sandalwood is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that can even aid with skin conditions like rashes and hives.
It helps to hydrate your skin and keeps it moisturized by retaining water in your dermal layers.
When your skin is hydrated is becoming more plump and full and fine lines may appear more filled in.
As an astringent, it helps to shrink pores and can tighten the skin while promoting cell turnover.
In Ayurveda, red sandalwood is used as an anti-acne treatment. (3)
This oil is a potent antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant. (4)
Studies show that Ylang ylang is rich in antioxidants that help the skin regenerate and can even repair damaged skin. (5)
This can help minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
It can also promote wound healing and reduce scar appearance.
A 2014 review report published in Advanced Biomedical Research found that pomegranate oil has strong antioxidant properties that help reduce inflammation as well as reduce sunspots and skin cancer. (6)
Other known anti-aging oils:
- Clary sage oil
- Carrot seed oil
- Helichrysum oil
- Geranium oil
- Rosehip oil
How to dilute your facial EOs
Remember, EOs should never be applied directly or neatly on the skin, especially the face!
Choose any of these carrier oils to dilute and apply:
- Coconut oil
- Vitamin E oil
- Argan oil
- Jojoba oil
- Almond oil
Argan oil is especially anti-aging.
Research suggests that the continuous use of argan oil can help restore some elasticity to the skin. (7)
Each of these oils offers a nourishing and hydrating effect on your skin while providing anti-inflammatory support.
You can also add 1-2 drops of EOs to your current daily moisturizer, face oil, or lotion.
A note on safe use
EOs are highly concentrated and potent.
A little goes a long way.
Always dilute them before applying directly to your skin.
Only apply 1 drop of a specific oil to your face at a time.
Be mindful of phototoxic oils like lemon, grapefruit, and orange.
Use them with care and caution.
You may experience an allergic reaction or irritation if you’re exposed to the sun.
If you experience an adverse reaction discontinue use immediately.
To be on the safe side, perform a patch test on your arm before applying the oils to your face.
If you have no reaction after 24 hours then proceed.
8 additional anti-aging, youth-enhancing hacks:
- Stay hydrated every day. (Drink more water than you think you need.)
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet that’s rich in antioxidants 80% of the time.
- Get your beauty sleep & practice yoga nidra (yogic sleep).
- Make yoga breathing (pranayama) a daily part of your life.
- Move your body mindfully with yoga asana.
- Meditate daily.
- Get regular sunshine, but not too much because it can accelerate skin aging.
- Ditch the alcohol and abstain from smoking.
DIY Anti-aging charcoal detox mask
Click here to get your hands on the recipe for this seriously luxurious beauty mask.