Product Review: Is The Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair A Good & Safe Choice For Kids?
Is your baby ready for solid foods?
Using a regular dining chair isn’t a safe choice because your baby could fall from it. For babies and toddlers, a high chair with a tray and dual restraint systems can provide a safe, easy place for eating.
But not all baby high chairs are created equal. Like other baby products, it’s a good idea to check the high chair’s key features and determine whether it’s the best one for your baby.
Are you planning to get the Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair? Read our review below.
- Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair with Tray – $199.95
Note that this product is also sold simply as the Abiie Wooden High Chair.
- Size: L: 21” x W: 17.6” x H: 34.5”
- Seat Height: The highest level is 24.6” and the lowest is 10.5”
- Tray Height: 28.9”
- High Chair Weight: 18 lbs
- Wood frame with cushion seats and plastic tray cover
- Wooden frames made from eco-friendly, top-quality European cultivated beechwood
- BPA-free removable tray cover
- Soft, water-resistant, and stain-resistant cushion seats
- Mahogany wood with cream cushion
- Mahogany wood with olive green cushion
- Natural wood with black pearl cushion
- Natural wood with blueberry blue cushion
- Natural wood with olive green cushion
- Natural wood with raspberry pink cushion
Parts & Accessories
The package or box contains the following parts:
- High chair frame
- Backrest cushion
- Seat cushion
- Removable plastic tray cover
This product requires assembly, but Abiie estimates that it will only take you around 15 minutes to finish the setup. Most of the washers, crowns, and screws come prefilled into the high chair.
To help you assemble the Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair, instructions for accessing the step-by-step video assembly guide are provided along with the product.
You can also buy the following accessories to replace some broken or damaged parts instead of getting a new high chair:
- Cushion set (back and seat, available in different colors) – $39.95
- Cushion seat only (available in different colors) – $21.95
- Plastic tray cover – $22.95
- Abiie Beyond Junior Y High Chair Screw Bag – $12.95
- You can’t easily fold this chair and put it in the trunk of your car for trips.
- Because it’s a wood chair, it might be heavier than other high chair products. But it has a small footprint and can still easily fit through doorways if you need to move it to another place.
- The dual restraint system lets you adjust for use as a 5-point harness or as a 3-point harness.
- Anti-microbial heat sterilization is used on the wood materials during processing.
- The product is certified to contain no harmful substances such as phthalates, BPA (bisphenol-A), latex, and PVC (polyvinyl chloride)
- The wood parts only use non-toxic and certified-safe plant-based lacquer as finishing.
The Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair also complies with the quality specifications of the following:
- ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) F404-10 standards for high chairs
- H.R.4040 or the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008
- CARB (California Air Resources Board) Phase 1 & 2 for low emissions of formaldehyde
Other Key Features
- It has an ergonomic design that keeps your child’s back upright and their knees at a 90-degree angle.
- The footrest also supports your little one’s feet.
- It converts to a booster seat or a regular dining chair.
- Three years manufacturer warranty
You can also opt to extend the product warranty
- One-year warranty extension – $19.95
- Two-year warranty extension – $29.95
- Three-year warranty extension – $39.95
You can only purchase the additional warranty for a total of six years for the high chair.
The manufacturer warranty doesn’t cover:
- Regular wear and tear with ordinary, everyday use of the product
- Stains or damages incurred by using the product
- Damages due to accidental spills and cleaning
- Damages from using the product other than its intended use
Abiie has the following shipping policies:
- Free shipping to all Abiie.com consumer orders in all 48 US continental states
- Shipping fees apply for Alaska, Hawaii, APO (Army Post Office), and FPO (Fleet Post Office) addresses
- P.O. (post office) box shipment isn’t available
- Overseas shipment isn’t available, except to Canada and US territories
Orders are expected to arrive in approximately three to five business days for addresses within the 48 contiguous states. The rest of the orders will take approximately 12 business days.
Final shipping fees will reflect before payment completion upon checkout.
Items Bought From Abiie’s Website
All high chairs and other items directly purchased from Abiie.com may be returned within 30 days:
- The item should be in like-new condition
- It should be returned with the original packaging
- Your original shipping and handling charges won’t be refunded
- Items should have a valid RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization)
- Abiie can provide a prepaid return shipping label; the shipping costs will be deducted from your total refund.
- You can pick the shipping method you want, but you’ll be responsible for the return shipping and handling charges.
- Abiie doesn’t accept COD (cash on delivery)
- Abiie declares no responsibility for returns lost during transit.
Note that all returns must have been originally purchased from Abiie and pre-authorized by the Abiie customer service department.
Send a message to www.abiie.com/pages/contact-us and wait for their approval before you ship back the defective item.
The return credits typically appear within 10 business days after the returned items are received at the Abiie warehouse.
Items Bought From Authorized Retailers
Abiie doesn’t accept returns of Abiie Beyond Wooden High Chair or Abiie Beyond Junior Y High Chair purchased through authorized retailers. Instead, you should contact the seller or store for their return policy.
To extend the life of your child’s Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair, the manufacturer recommends the following maintenance procedures:
- Periodically wipe clean all the plastic parts using a soft, damp cloth.
- Don’t use bleach, spray, or wet wipes on the pads, trays, or plastic parts.
- Always dry any metal part that comes in contact with water or other liquids to prevent rust formation.
- All wooden parts shouldn’t be submerged in water, placed in the dishwasher, or washed under running water.
- Periodically check the high chair for worn parts, loose screws, torn material or stitching, and other possible damages.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. This may cause the plastic parts to warp and the wood surface color to fade.
Pros & Cons
- This product offers versatility because it can convert to a booster seat or a regular dining chair when your child no longer needs it as a high chair.
- EZ-Seat Technology lets you adjust the seat height and footrest easily.
- It may be easy to clean, with many access points for cleaning up crumbs and messes on the seat.
- It has a one-hand removable dishwasher-safe tray cover.
- It’s not a portable high chair that easily folds up for storage or to bring somewhere.
- The wood parts may blister easily if the child regularly spills food or liquids.
- Cushion colors may transfer to wet wipes or rags.
- Some parents complained about the tray’s design because food can still get through the gap between the plastic cover and the wood portion.
- Other parents complained about the tray cover warping after placing them in a dishwasher, despite the item supposedly being dishwasher-safe.
What Customers Say
Positive Customer Reviews
“Superior construction, and I have researched many similar to this product. Like Keekaroo, Stokke, and Badger. This beats them all on the quality of the wood and design. Easily transforms from a toddler chair to an adult in seconds.” – Reviewer on Walmart.
“The harness is difficult to adjust, which is great because the baby cannot loosen it. Good center of gravity and the legs don’t pose a tripping hazard.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
“It was so easy to clean, and I love how effortlessly the straps can be removed for washing.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
Negative Customer Reviews
“The plastic part covering the wooden table tray doesn’t cover it completely, and my LO can use his dirty/greasy hands and touch both the plastic and wood part, so it’s two things to clean, instead of just one plastic tray. I hate it. SO MUCH TO CLEAN UP.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
“I was hoping that the stain was coming off only for the first time. Now with the stain issue for over three months.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
“The wood is warping and blistered from water getting under the seat cushion (and then cleaned right up after mealtime) while he’s eating. Babies are messy. I shouldn’t have to refinish this $200+ piece of plywood because my baby spills his water.” – Reviewer on Amazon.
Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair Vs. Tripp Trapp High Chair and Cushion with Tray by Stokke
These products have many similarities, but which one is better?
- They’re both adjustable chairs that can grow with your child.
- Both are primarily made of wood.
- Both have no product recalls.
- The Abiie costs $199.95, while the Stokke costs $359 for the full set.
- You can still buy a Stokke chair at $199, but you need to get the optional Tripp Trapp newborn set ($149) or the baby set ($79) to convert it into a high chair.
- The Abiie weighs 18 lbs, while the Stokke weighs 15 lbs.
- The Abiie can support up to 250 lbs, while the Stokke can support up to 300 lbs.
- The Abiie has six color combinations, while the Stokke has nine color variations.
What Makes The Stokke Tripp Trapp High Chair and Cushion with Tray Better?
- It has a better capacity (up to 300 lbs) than the Abiie (up to 250 lbs).
- It has more color options.
- It has fewer parts to clean with just a one-piece tray, while the Abiie has two (tray plus tray cover).
- It’s an adjustable chair that can be used even by babies ages zero to six months using the optional Tripp Trapp Newborn Set.
What Makes The Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair Better?
- The Abiie is cheaper but offers similar features.
Are High Chairs Safe For Children Of All Ages?
In general, high chairs may be safe when the child is already six months old. But children develop at a different rate, so make sure that your child can sit up properly before putting them on one.
High chairs with trays may already be too small for children over three years old. If the high chair offers versatility options, you can simply remove the tray and harnesses to convert it into a full dining chair.
What’s The Difference Between The Harness Systems?
A 3-point harness has straps over your child’s shoulders that meet in the middle with the strap between the legs.
The 5-point harness puts two additional hip straps that meet in the middle with the other three straps for added safety.
Are Convertible High Chairs Better Than Regular Ones?
Regular high chairs may be cheaper than convertible ones, but these can only be used by your children when they’re smaller and can fit inside.
Some parents prefer convertible high chairs even if they’re more expensive because they can become dining chairs once the kids no longer need a high chair.
Summary & Recommendation
The Abiie Beyond Junior Y Wooden High Chair is a versatile product that grows with your child. But is it the best high chair for your child’s needs and your preferences?
Choose this high chair if:
- You’re alright with the price tag ($199.95).
- You want a high chair that can convert into a dining chair.
- You prefer a wooden chair with a plastic tray cover you can remove for cleaning.
Don’t choose this high chair if:
- You prefer cheaper options that don’t convert into dining chairs.
- You need a portable chair.
- You prefer a high chair made from other materials (like steel with plastic).
- You want a one-piece tray that might be easier to clean.
- You’re concerned about the quality concerns from the customer reviews.